Denise Goldberg's blog

Wandering along the edge
An exploration of Prince Edward Island

Monday, September 26, 2005

A New Brunswick non-biking side trip

Hopewell Cape

If you're considering a trip that includes (or passes by) the coastal areas of New Brunswick, I highly recommend stopping at Hopewell Cape to see the amazing tide changes in the Bay of Fundy. Information about the area - including tide charts, which are pretty important in planning your visit - can be found at thehopewellrocks.ca. It's definitely worth the time to be there long enough to see both low and high tides.

I spent the hours to wait out the tide change in the morning. That's a lot of hours on a biking trip that is already packed with more stops than time permits, but I think it's definitely worth the time off of the bike. When I was there, low tide was at 6:32 PM on the day that I arrived, and at 6:58 AM the next morning. In order to see both extremes, I really needed to stay in the park (or leave and return, which didn't make much sense to me) the entire morning of my visit. It would be nice if the tide changes allowed you to see one tide in the evening and the other early in the morning, but of course a 6-hour tide cycle doesn't support this type of viewing.

Just to whet your appetite, I've included a photo below that shows the Flower Pot Rocks in the park at both low and high tide. More photos can be seen in my Hopewell Cape & beyond photo gallery.


The well known Flower Pot rocks, shown here at just before low tide and at high tide.

These photos were actually taken on two different days as it probably evident from the difference in colors between them. The left photo was taken when I arrived at Hopewell Rocks late Saturday afternoon as the tide was nearing low tide. The right photo was taken just before I left the park on Sunday, at very close to high tide.