Denise Goldberg's blog

Wandering along the edge
An exploration of Prince Edward Island

Saturday, September 17, 2005

A glimpse below the tides

Confederation Bridge to Hopewell Cape

I used New Brunswick as a simple stepping stone on my drive to PEI. While the province deserves an exploration of its own, that's not going to happen on this trip. But - I am fascinated by the tides in the Bay of Fundy, and I decided to stop at Hopewell Cape on the way home. When I made that decision I was hoping for good weather. That's not today, but rain isn't a good reason to drive straight through on the way home too.

I entered the province a bit after 2 this afternoon. Initially I thought I would save my visit to Hopewell Cape until tomorrow, but then I decided that doing an initial visit today would be a good idea. It was a rainy afternoon, and it's supposed to be raining in the morning too. This rain was relatively light when I arrived at the cape, and I'd hate to be faced with a bad visiting day in the form of a total downpour tomorrow morning. I entered Hopewell Cape at 4, and was warned that I needed to be out by 5. That's not very long, but it was long enough for a quick visit to Flowerpot Rocks at close to low tide. These rock structures are amazing - hopefully some of my pictures will give you a sense of the beauty.



It was a wet and gloomy day, but my first view of the Flower Pot Rocks at close to low tide definitely brought a smile to my face.







The area to the south of the rock structures is not as impressive from a structural standpoint, but the strong line between where there was still water and the muddy area where the water had already receded was impressive. Unfortunately it was very difficult to see the difference between water and mud in my camera. I took the pictures anyway - I just kept shooting away and I'll sort all of the pictures out when I get home. Even though I know that my little camera is really perfect for riding trips, one of these trips is going to send me over the edge toward a digital camera with a big lens. Uh oh!



The real issue for me is that I'd love to see this place at both low and high tide. Tomorrow morning low tide is at 6:58 AM, and high tide is at 12:50 PM. I probably won't stay until absolute high tide. I'm hoping that "on the way to high tide" will let me see the differences in water levels. The water level at low tide tomorrow morning is 1 foot, and at high tide is 44.3 feet. That's an amazing difference, and I'd really like to be able to see it for myself. Here's hoping that what's left of tropical storm Ophelia doesn't get in the way.

Whenever I continue to the west tomorrow, my goal for the day is Bar Harbor, Maine. Another visit to Acadia National Park sounds like a good idea to me. And yes, I'm hoping for a dry day in Maine. My bicycle is ready for another ride!


In spite of it being pretty late in the season, there are still some beautiful flowers here.