Denise Goldberg's blog

Wandering along the edge
An exploration of Prince Edward Island

Wednesday, September 7, 2005

A 3-state highway day

Boston (well, really Burlington, MA) to Bangor, ME

It was a driving afternoon, no biking today. Let's see, if I had biked the distance I covered today in my bright blue car, it probably would have taken five days to get to Bangor. I thought this was the halfway point between home and PEI, but after seeing the miles click away, I believe I'm a bit short of halfway. As I pulled in here, the sun was still shining; it took me slightly less time to drive here today than it did for my June tour of Downeast Maine. I was definitely ready to stop driving though.

I noticed some of the same things along the road as I did back in June, and again I wished I was traveling on my bike so I could stop and look around. That just didn't seem like a smart thing to do with traffic flying at more than interstate speeds.

One curious thing was just before the Kennebunk exit. There is a fenced in area just to the right of the northbound (or should I say eastbound) lane of I-95. Inside the small areas are a bunch of gravestones. Is it a resting place for people who died in traffic accidents? Was it a burying spot that existed before the highway was here? Was it something that was discovered in recent years? If anyone has a clue, please sign my guestbook! I'd love to know.

Then there were the signs. Signs between the north and southbound lanes of the interstate saying things like "avoid sudden stops". No kidding! Before Augusta, there were signs saying "watch for moose on roadway". After Augusta, the signs warning about the moose changed to a one-line "Attention" followed by a picture of a moose, and then a number of miles. I wonder why the signs aren't consistent. And I have to say I prefer the signs with the picture of the moose!

The first day of autumn is still two weeks away, and most of the trees still reflect their summer green. But at one point I looked off to the side of the road to see a stand of flame-red trees. I'm really not ready for the change of seasons, but that was a beautiful surprise.

My home for the night? I'm staying at the Hampton Inn near the Bangor Mall. I had to laugh when they handed me the card key to my room. There is a small black & white picture on the key of a someone riding a bicycle! And you know me and my camera - I had to take a picture of that key. You'll have to wait until I get home to see it though...

This turned out to be a good location for tonight. There are restaurants in walking distance, a Starbucks on the corner, and the motel provided fresh-baked cookies as an evening snack, and breakfast in the morning. That works for me - then I'll be off on a two-lane road heading for New Brunswick and then Prince Edward Island.