Denise Goldberg's blog

Wandering along the edge
An exploration of Prince Edward Island

Saturday, August 6, 2005

A plan not to plan

Rather than travel across the Atlantic or to the western half of the country, I've decided on a tour a little closer to home. Remember, I said "a little"!

My choice? I'm going to head to Prince Edward Island in September. I'll be taking 2 weeks off, which will give me 11 days for the biking part of my trip. As far as I can tell, the bridge to PEI is about 600 miles from here, and I'm going to drive to the start of my trip. I did briefly consider flying, but driving gives me more freedom with no set date to return home, plus it allows me to (maybe) stop a couple of places on the way home. Where? Maybe somewhere in New Brunswick along the Bay of Fundy, or maybe I'll stop at Acadia National Park in Maine to do the Park Loop Road one more time, or maybe...

I'm going to go back to basics in a sense because I'm not going to plan each day in advance. I believe I should be able to find B&Bs and hotels there without too much difficulty, so it will be a credit-card tour - no camping this time. And my intention is to ride around the island. All I have to decide now is the general direction - clockwise or counterclockwise! And of course, I need a starting location (and a temporary home for my car) too. Soon...


My Air Glide, jumping for joy that we're about to head out on a tour. She thinks that Prince Edward Island is a great destination, but she's asking to stop at Acadia National Park in Maine for a quick loop on the way home. Guess my crazy touring bikes have been comparing notes...